Saturday, June 18, 2011

Japan Day 3: Gion Corner


We started the day with a class on Japanese culture where we discussed the differences between family life in North America and Japan. We then headed over for some udon lunch with our buddies after which  we continued with a seminar on intercultural studies taught by an American professor with a focus on culture shock.

tea house in the Gion district

 The afternoon was spent in downtown Kyoto doing some shopping, but the main attraction of the day was a tea ceremony and Maiko dancing in the famous Gion Corner.


 Walking around the famous Gion district with the very exclusive tea houses and real Maikos ( performers) roaming the streets made me feel like I was part of the famous novel Memoirs of a Geisha. I couldn't believe that such a famous and old tradition that I believed was just a myth is still very much in practice in today's age.  When you look at a Maiko, there are so many layers to peel away from them. They wear a mask of haunting beauty as the outer layer, snow white skin that you are too afraid to touch, with blood red lips.

 It seems the ghosts of Japan's history are still wandering through the downtown streets of Kyoto.

11 comments:

mispapelicos said...

I am so jealous about being in Japan..., but also very glad for you.
Thank you for letting me see it throug your eyes.
Besos.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Lara said...

Japan is an amazing place! thanks for sharing such beautiful photos!

Swit Rocs said...

Wonderful...
I totally recommend you to read Katsuyuki Hasegawa's book "Vechiul oras imperial", it is about Kyoto and I'm sure you'll love it!!!
Enjoy!

Special Koko said...

beautiful pics..:x

Anaivilo said...

Oh these are amazing! Those Japanese girls are like dolls, and the costumes are just breathtaking!!

Marie My said...

those maikos are gorgeous. I love the fact that they still exist!

love, Marie My from www.nemesisbabe.blogspot.com

The Hearabouts said...

So amazing! I've read so much about geishas and maikos and I've seen movies and documentaries. It must be so unbelievable being there and seeing everything with your own eyes.

Love the photos, too, we are all thankful that you share this experience with us :)

Hugs,
S.

Jessica said...

I was recently in Japan as well and my visit to Kyoto was certainly my favourite part of the trip. It's a beautiful place.

Chelle said...

Japan looks incredible! So much culture there. Love the photos you took. It seems like you've been having an amazing time!

Xo Chelle
discoveringelegance.com

VertAnge said...

Wow!It really looks like a scene from a movie or book. Have fun!

Amy said...

What a chic look! Love the belted dress and flats look you're rocking. Perfect city-chic look!