Sunday, June 19, 2011

Japan Day 4: Fushiminari Shrine


Friday started with our usual Japanese culture class with the focus this time on the perception of Japanese people of World War II. It was interesting to find out that  Japanese teachers were specifically instructed to diminish the teachings of Japan's negative involvement in the war and how a lot of Japanese feel they were the victim of the powerful USA.


We then headed for our usual udon lunch spot after which we had a seminar on Buddhism. The most important teaching that really stuck with me was the idea that being happy should not be dependent on something, such as : the love of a person, being young, one's beauty, one's hobby or one's material possessions. It's the idea that nothing will satisfy you indefinitely and that " things" do not bring you satisfaction. 
For one who half of this trip I've been obsessed with shopping and buying as much as I can, this lecture really calmed me down and made me more grounded if I could say.
 

 We finished the day with a visit of Fushiminari Shrine, a Shinto shrine which is where all these pictures are from.


7 comments:

A said...

How beauuutiful! definitely reminds me of Memoirs of a geisha (which I've watched numerous times!!):x

Anaivilo said...

Amazing !! Everything there is just divine..

mispapelicos said...

So much beauty, such a delight, ahhhhhhhhhhhhh (sigh)
Thank you sooooooooooooo much for sharing.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

De Vero said...

So great this is! Lovely dress you have ;)

http://de-vero.blogspot.com

Amy said...

What a cute dress and what a gorgeous place! I taught English just outside of Kyoto (Kameoka) and spent my weekends exploring old Kyoto... and I'd always come back to Fushiminari. There's just something so magical about the endless gates. Gorgeous shots! I'm jealous of your camera skills!!!

Anda Zelenca said...

You're so cuteee!:*

colorsdiary said...

a lecture bringing us back on the ground is very good in such case; i would be in the same situation of crave to shop, so i can understand how u felt :)